This tutorial guides you through the steps in adding a WordPress gallery to a post or page.
Within a page or post click on Add Media button
- Position your cursor within the page or post where the gallery will be inserted
- Click on the Add Media button
Select Upload Files as the source for images
- You can add existing media from the Media Library to a gallery or upload new files from your computer
- In this demo we upload new files so click on the Upload Files tab.
- Note that you can add files by dragging them anywhere onto the Insert Media window.
Upload your images
- You can drag and drop images directly onto the Insert Media window OR you can click the Select Files button in the middle of the window and navigate to the location on your computer.
Create gallery from selected images (stage 1)
- Your uploaded images are automatically selected ready for insertion. If multiple images were uploaded these images are already selected ready for insertion or for creating a gallery. Additional images can be selected by holding down the CTRL or CMD key while clicking on image thumbnails
- By default clicking on the Insert into Post button will insert these as individual images rather than a gallery.
- The highlighted image (i.e. with the blue selection border and tick) has its details displayed in the right hand panel. The details can be edited as required.
- To create a new gallery from the selected images click on Create Gallery (top left)
Create gallery from selected images (stage 2)
- When you click on Create Galley the right hand panel changes to the insert gallery interface
- Click on the Create a new gallery button to create a gallery from the selected images
Adjust gallery settings
- The gallery is created – now you can adjust the gallery settings.
- Reorder images by clicking and dragging
- Set the Link To option. This determines what happens when an image is clicked on. An attachment page witll lead to a page containing the image whilw image will lead to the image alone. Unless there is a special reason for using an attachment page I would recommend setting to the Image link option.
- Set the number of columns that the thumbnails display in. If you only have a small number of images, adjusting the number of columns may create better proportioned page.
- Once settings are made click on Insert Gallery
Gallery appears in page or post
- The gallery is displayed in the page or post. Note this does not accurately reflect how the gallery will appear on your web page.
Publish/update the page or post (or edit the existing gallery)
- If you need to edit the gallery or change its settings, hover over the gallery and the context buttons (a penceil to edit and a cross to delete) appear. Click on the pencil icon to return to the gallery settings page or the x button to delete the gallery.
- If you are happy with the gallery, click on the Publish or Update button (if the post or page is already published)