There are a many things to consider when selecting a domain name. The important thing to remember is that if you are unsure which name to choose (and if your budget permits) you can purchase multiple domain names and point one to another. Better still run multiple interrelated websites each with a different focus. For instance one could be your main website and another more for blogging or special promotions.
Here are the factors to consider when choosing a domain name:
- Keyword relevance – Your domain name should if possible contain relevant keywords related to your product or service. Put yourself in customers’ shoes. What will they search for when looking for your product or service? You can use Google’s keyword tool to help with this process
- Contains you business name. If your web presence is going to be a major part of your marketing then it is worth spending some time coming up with a keyword rich business name that can also can be used as domain name.
- Not too long. If you domain name is too long it will look awkward and be prone to errors when people try to key it in to their browser
- Include common misspellings. If opting for a keyword based domain it may pay to register domain names that are common misspellings of keyword especially if your preferred domain name is taken.
- Keep the domain name standard – Avoid the use of hyphens and underscores in domain names
- Make sure it looks right. As there are no spaces or punctuation in a domain name make sure your domain looks right when read as an address.Here are some examples.
- Avoid acronyms – while you may understand the acronym the wider world may not
- Choose a name that can grow with your business and allows for future diversification. For example choicetiles.com.au will not be useful if you eventually diversify to other forms of flooring
- Watch out for trademark infringement – Check that your proposed name does not infringe on any Australian or international trademarks. Just because it is available doesn’t mean you can use it.
Read more about the process of registering a domain name here.